Judge Yergey is a graduate of the University of Florida, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Economics, a LL.B and a Juris Doctor in 1957. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1957. While in the midst of his law school education, he was called up to serve in the Korean War as a Second Lieutenant. He was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army as a Captain in 1959.
Judge Yergey joined his father, C. Arthur Yergey, at Yergey and Yergey, P.A. in 1957. He served as an Orange County Juvenile Court Judge from 1963 to 1969. Upon retiring from the bench, he returned to private practice with his father. Judge Yergey purchased the Yergey Building in 1974, where the firm has been located for the past thirty-five (35) years. Judge Yergey has been Of Counsel with the firm since 2001.
Judge Yergey served as a founding Trustee for Lake Highland Preparatory School. In 1974, he was instrumental in establishing the Edgewood Boy’s Ranch now known as the Edgewood Children’s Ranch. He served as Senior Warden at the Cathedral Church of St. Luke and has been involved in various Bar activities. He still supports these organizations today. Judge Yergey currently serves on the Advisory Committee to the Chancellor of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina.
Judge Yergey has been married for 60 years. He has two sons, Palmer and David Jr., and daughter, Melissa. Judge Yergey has five grandchildren. He is a lifelong resident of Orlando. Judge Yergey enjoys spending time with his wife, Louise, and their children and grandchildren and traveling.